Sunday, October 5, 2008

Politics

I consider myself a liberal Democrat. (I was considering registering Independent in 2001, but went Democrat after this county elected President Bush. There was no way I felt I could be "neutral" after that.) I say that I don't necessarily vote along party lines, but when I think about it, I don't know if I've voted for another party. Let me do some research...

2001 - Don't think there were any elections where I could vote for candidates.

2002
Senator runoff - Democrat
5th Congressional District runoff - Democrat
Senator primary - probably Democrat
5th Congressional District primary - probably Democrat
PSC - No clue, though I probably voted for Campbell (Democrat).
Justice of the Peace, Ward 10 - Democrat (my great-aunt)
Constable, Ward 10 - Democrat (my great-uncle)

2003
Governor Runoff - Democrat
Lt. Governor - probably Democrat (Landrieu)
State Rep, 13th District - Democrat (only party)
Police Jury, Ward 4 - Democrat (of course, he's my "uncle")
Governor jungle primary - Democrat (probably Ewing)
Lt. Governor jungle primary - no clue
Secretary of State - I bet I voted Republican (McKeithen)
Attorney General - I don't remember.
Commissioner of Agriculture - I don't remember.
Commissioner of Insurance - No clue.
State Rep, 13th District primary - all 4 candidates were Democrats
Winn Sheriff - I voted Republican.
Winn Assessor - Democrat
Coroner - both were Democrats
Police Jury, Ward 4 Primary - Democrat

2004
President/VP - Democrat
US Senator - I think I voted Democrat (Kennedy)
5th Congressional District - I remember I changed from Republican (Alexander) to Democrat (Blakes) a few days before because I liked her platform better. Also because Alexander had switched party affiliations. That seemed cheap to me.

2005 - I don't think there were any candidates that year, just ballot initiatives.

2006
Winn DA - D

2007
I didn't vote in Charlotte.

2008
Will vote Democrat in November. I haven't voted for any local or state officials yet because I don't really follow it. Perhaps I'll read up on it before the 4th.

I've made an interesting observation about Winn Parish. A majority of the parish is registered Democrat. However, A LOT of them are very, very socially conservative, an aspect that has sadly seemingly become a tenet of the Republican party. But when you look at the state amendments and parish ballot initiatives, the parish overwhelmingly votes FOR added taxes. I don't know whether that's influenced by small federal government beliefs or that the majority of Democrats in the parish are "Blue Dog Democrats." Hmmm...

Food for thought
According to the LA Secretary of State's Parish Report of Registered Voters up to 9/14/2008, 5,638 of 9,483 registered voters in Winn Parish (59.5 percent) are Democrats. 20.7 percent, or 1,965 registered voters, are Independents and 19.8 percent, or 1,880 registered voters, are Republican.

Facts
  • Population: 15,836, with 66.7 percent Caucasian, 31.6 percent African-American (2006 US Census estimate)
  • 3,589 (63.7 percent) of registered Democrats are Caucasian and 2,049 (38.2 percent) are minorities.
  • 1,189 (96.8 percent) of registered Republicans are Caucasian and 61 (.32 percent) are minorities.
  • 1,472 (74.9 percent) of registered Independents are Caucasian and 493 (25.1 percent) are minorities.

No comments: